RE: Speedometer calibration

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net, "'John T. Blair'" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: RE: Speedometer calibration
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:20:41 -0400
John,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but would your calibration procedure not
have to assume that the "other car's" speedometer is correct?  I can imagine
all sorts of arguments as to whose speedometer is right if there is a
discrepancy.

Around Winnipeg and on the prairies, there are country roads at one-mile
intervals (even though we have gone metric in Canada; it's hard to move
these country roads to one-kilometre intervals).  I have calibrated my
speedometer by having a passenger time the distance traveled between a
number of intersections with these country roads.  Most US Interstates have
mileage markers and you can use them to measure the time traveled over a set
distance.

At a speed of 60 mph, you should cover 10 miles in ten minutes.  Assuming a
one-second delay due to poor reflexes, this method would give you an error
of 1/600 or 0.16%. This is much less than the error in reading the
speedometer.

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB
'52 +4