RE: Speedometer calibration

To: "'Morgans'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Speedometer calibration
From: "DeLuca, Joseph" <Joseph.DeLuca@wl.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:07:49 -0400

I agree with getting a second opinion about the speedo calibration,
but as a old-time rallyist I wouldn't trust anything other than a
stopwatch and a measured mile.

My favorite method is to find a fresh stretch of highway.  One that
hasn't been torn up too much, because they tend to rearrange the
mileage markers when they do construction.

Motor along at exactly 60 mph which translates to one minute per mile.
Measure the time.  If it takes you 66 seconds to travel one mile
(which ideally should be traversed in 60 seconds) then calculate
66/60 x 100 = 110% (as an example).

Try this at several different mileposts to get an average because,
as I said, the highway dept (and intoxicated drivers) move the markers
around a bit.

For the best accuracy I prefer to visit the local cop shop and ask
where THEY calibrate the police car speedos.
They usually have a measured mile somewhere in town.  The only
downside is that they often start to ask you a lot of questions.
They think you want to organize drag racing there or something, and
if you let slip that you have a "sports car" you're in for it.
Tell them you're training for the Olympics (although with my frame
that's a stretch).

If the measured mile is in town and you can't do 60 mph conveniently,
the factor for 30 mph is 120 seconds per mile, and for 45 mph it's
90 seconds.

Happy Motoring

Joe DeLuca
Sparta, NJ