Re: Differences

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Differences
From: Phil Fisher <pcfisher@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:38:21 -0800
Viva la difference!

My first observations of significant difference are a bit dated -- we got
our 1970 4/4 4-seater in 1972 after having owned a +4 SS for two years.  My
very first impressions were in two parts --- first; a synchro first gear
was absolute heaven!.  The second was the fact that the steering seemed
significantly lighter.  There was less cowl shake on the 4/4, but I
remember putting that off to newer kingpins and bushes (the 4/4 had 10000
miles on the odometer when we bought it).

I won't even go into the difference between bladder (leaking) seats and
seats that almost have springing (26 years later these seats are still
comfortable).

My speculation on the easier steering has always been the lighter crossflow
engine versus the venerable TR3/4 anchor.  Even when I put a new (brand new
hand carried from the factory at the time - 1976) steering box on the +4,
the 4/4 still had easier steering.

Less "jounce-to-the-ounce" --  again my personal speculation here is the
weight difference of the engines primarily (less centripital forces??? and
rebound??).  The 4/4 chassis did have a few more gussets along the
cross-members, but no socially significant differences that I recall.

Another possibility -- the +4 had Michelin X 165x15 radials (steel ply) vs
the Pirellis that were on the 4/4 from new -- softer???

Then -- when I talk about our 1992 Plus 8, I am talking real "comfort". The
seats, while not the sport buckets, have adequate side support and still
fit my (slightly wider) bum.  The new internal bracing - undercowl roll
bar, rear shock absorber mounts etc have added a great deal of stiffness.
The rear tubular shocks undoubtedly have a great effect as do the wider
(slot car, but not wires) wheels. The rack and pinion steering has to be
tried to believe.

Which one do I prefer to drive (the +4 SS has unfortunately long gone)??
We've done two MOA's at more than 5000 miles each in the 4/4 and had been
planning on taking it again in the year 2000; however my wife drove her +8
back from Cambria weekend before last up Highway 1 and after being able to
fly around the RV's I think she has another idea in mind.  In a nutshell
they are both uniquely Morgans!  Love them both.

Phil Fisher
1970 4/4 4-Seater
1992 Plus 8 (Petrol twin cat, California legal)
A number of other things that have from 4 to 8 cylinders and run