Scuttle bar

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Scuttle bar
From: Arlin Robins <arlin@slip.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 11:26:41 -0700
Arlin Robins wrote:

> William Zehring wrote:
> >
> > Fellow Mogophiles:
> >
> > CHarris990@aol.com writes:
> >
> > >Anyway this is a test but due to my oposition to scuttle roll bars and
> > unequal
> > >length A arms, which I am sure give a more comfortable ride for those
> > >arthritic old people who need to lead a more sedintary life, I am not sure
> > >this is the Morgan list.  Pound for lb. almost any wood is stronger than
> > >steel.  Define comfort.  Is it being in control of a Morgan when you realy
> > get
> > >a corner right, or being totaly enclosed in an appliance to get you
>somewhere
> > >(and hoping someone will notice you).  As for getting center punched this
>is
> > >what your accelerator is for.
> >
> > Truer words have not been spoken (at least, not on this list).  I think
> > that I shall print out this message and post it by my night stand, so that
> > I might have this inspiration available to me with each morning!  Scuttle
> > bars be damned!  I had me mog out and about last sunday evening and the
> > last thought in my mind was how 'comfortable' the ride was.  T'was a bright
> > shining example of how the morgan 4/4 is, truely, 'the thinking man's mog.'
> >
> > Will 'there _HE_ goes again' Zehring
> >
> > p.s. oh, and by the way, I meant "Hairy Thunderer," not "Harry Thunderer"
> > (so much for thinking).

         Am I the only one who thought that the function of the scuttle
bar
 might be to decrease torsional forces & chassis flex (with the possible
 secondary benefit of more side impact integrity)? And, if so, wouldn't
 this probably stiffen (not soften) the ride somewhat and possibly help
 'getting (some) corners right' (and maybe a little faster or more
 consistantly)?
         Someone please disabuse me of my delusions...I probably don't
have the
 talent, time or money to do this anyway.
 Michael Jhon (Whose '61 +4's suspension seems a bit soft)