Sputter, cough

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sputter, cough
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 23:09:18 EDT
I'm on a bit of a fishing trip...  Bill Phillips' really nice 61 Plus 4, that
lives across the street, is throwing a tantrum.  After driving a few miles it
will start to stumble, sputter and almost dies.  Then it comes back to life
for a few moments and repeats the process.  Bill suspected bad gas or a
clogged fuel filter.  He had the gas tank drained, a new filter installed, and
cleaned the fuel pump bowl.  No improvement.  He asked me to take a look.  I
found the fuel pump was pretty weak, so I put a kit in it.  Pump works more
like it should, but the stumble still appears after a few miles, lasts maybe
10-15 seconds and then clears up for a minute or two before repeating the
process.  I can't get it to act up in the garage.  It seems to be load
sensitive.  For my next check, I plan to hook up the timing light & drive it
till it stumbles to see if spark is suspect.  I'm wondering if the coil is
starting to go south??

Anyone have any ideas??  Am I missing something obvious??

TIA

Cheers

Ken Payne, 63 Plus 4