Re: Sputter, cough

To: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sputter, cough
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:42:09 -0400
At 11:09 PM 9/23/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I'm on a bit of a fishing trip...  Bill Phillips' really nice 61 Plus 4, that
>lives across the street, is throwing a tantrum.  After driving a few miles it
>will start to stumble, sputter and almost dies.  Then it comes back to life
>for a few moments and repeats the process.  Bill suspected bad gas or a
>clogged fuel filter.  He had the gas tank drained, a new filter installed,
and
>cleaned the fuel pump bowl.  No improvement.  He asked me to take a look.  I
>found the fuel pump was pretty weak, so I put a kit in it.  Pump works more
>like it should, but the stumble still appears after a few miles, lasts maybe
>10-15 seconds and then clears up for a minute or two before repeating the
>process.  I can't get it to act up in the garage.  It seems to be load
>sensitive.  For my next check, I plan to hook up the timing light & drive it
>till it stumbles to see if spark is suspect.  I'm wondering if the coil is
>starting to go south??
>
>Anyone have any ideas??  Am I missing something obvious??

I would deffinately check the coil.  I had a very similar experience with
my '63 MG (including a coil that was right out of the box!).  My only guess
was that the coil got hot and started to fail.  The problem was exacerbated
under load in my case too.  My B would idle perfectly well, and would rev
nicely too, sitting in the garage, but would run as if on three cylanders
under moderate to heavy load.

Will Zehring