Re: Sputter, cough

To: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sputter, cough
From: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:57:21 -0800

Oddcarnut@aol.com wrote:

>  Bill Phillips' really nice 61 Plus 4,  After driving a few miles it
> will start to stumble, sputter and almost dies.  Then it comes back to life
> for a few moments and repeats the process.

I had the same symptoms on my 63 +4 and it persisted after replacing the pump
and
filter.  I finally removed the fuel pickup tube which unscrews from the top of
the
tank and found the tube severly caked with varnish and dirt.  The opening was
very
small and created enough resistance that the pump could not pull up fuel fast
enough to keep up with the engine needs.  After stalling and cranking a bit to
restart, enough fuel is available to run for a while again.  I cleaned the
inside
of the tube with a rat-tail file and the car runs great.

I do not drive the Mog very often and it sits for months at a time, so fuel in a
partially filled tank can evaporate and leave deposits over the years.

The suggestions of others on this list are also valid if it is a electrical
problem and not fuel.  Coils can go bad and lose their spark as they heat up.  I
had a Lucas Coil lose its insulating oil thru the seal in the tower after the
seal
was burned when the high tension lead was not firmly seated allowing it to arc
inside the tower.  Check for signs of arcing or oil in the tower.  I have a
spare
coil that I swap out whenever I suspect one might be bad...

Good luck,  let us know when you finally find the real problem.
George Gerth
ggerth@west.net
63 +4
66 DB5