Re: Sputter, cough

To: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sputter, cough
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:02:44 -0600
Regarding a Plus 4 Ken Payne wrote:

> After driving a few miles it will start to stumble, sputter and almost dies.
>Then it comes back to life for a few moments and repeats the process. <

Hey Ken,

Based on a similar set of symtoms exhibited by Yellow, my '66 Plus 4,
some years ago, I would suggest the coil as the most likely problem.

However, a bad condenser can certainly cause these symptoms, too, as can
contaminants (rust flakes, gravel, etc) in the fuel tank which may be
too large to go thru the fuel lines to the filters but which can
obstruct the fuel tank outlet.

Unless they are both brand new, I would first replace both the coil and
the condenser and, if that did not cure the problem, I would pull the
tank and get it really thoroughly cleaned out.

Let us know what the problem turns out to be.

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'65 Tiger MKI, '66 Morgan Plus 4, '67 Alpine SV