Re: Buying in

To: Jon Callas <jon@callas.org>
Subject: Re: Buying in
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:38:02 -0800
Jon Callas wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who wrote. I'll give some more information.
>
> I live in the Bay Area, in San Jose, and consequently will get a lot of
> good driving time. I know that the other engine is a lot of fun, too -- I
> already have one of those engines, it just happens to be in a Land Rover
> Defender 90 Station Wagon. I went looking for a +4 because one of my goals
> was to have a fun car that gets better milage than the D90.
>
> The car we are getting is #6283, a two-seater in BRG (we includes Tamzen
> Cannoy, to whom I'm married). We're getting it from Los Gatos, and are
> being sold it by Dennis Glavis, who is the president of the local owner's
> group.
>
> We've taken it to a mechanic one of my LR friends recommended, and it's
> been given the once-over. It's going to get fixed up and then we'll get it.
>
> I'll be ordering shop manuals post haste, and looking at all sorts of other
> books.
>
> I have another quick question -- why are Morgans called Mogs? I can
> understand MOG as Morgan Owners' Group, but why for the car itself?
>
>         JonJon-The answer is shrouded in mystery, but there are a few
>theories:
1)When we called them "Mors" they were often confused with a confection
involving Hershey bars ,marshmallows and graham crackers.
2) We then tried "Mons," but started receiving unseemly amounts of reggae
music, and veiled references to something called 'ganja'
3)Calling them "Morgs" seemed tasteless, if not macabre.
        The only alternative was Mogs.
        Wish I'd known you were in San Jose- I was there Tue. night and
Wed. for an Intel Dog-and-pony show at the convention center.Would have
preferred looking at your Mog in Los Gatos.....
        Jeff Smith
        1968 4/4