RE: Questions?

To: "'Morgans'" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Questions?
From: "Vodden, Dave" <dave.vodden@Telematics.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:05:00 -0500
Bob Nogueira wrote:

>What are they selling for in England ?  And  could some one tell me
what is
>the "Wide Body" option ? Are they actually  making the car  wider  than
the
>1980 modlels?

When the Plus 4 was reintroduced in about 1985 it used wider tyres
(195mm) than the 4/4 (185mm) on a wider rim. This meant that the wings
front and back needed to be wider by a couple of inches to accommodate
the extra rubber and I believe it has a slightly wider track.  The
cockpit may be wider, but not so much you can tell.  The "wide body
option" puts a 4/4 engine in Plus 4 body and running gear.  These days
with the 1.8 litre Ford Zetec engine in the 4/4 there is not a lot of
difference in performance.

If you look at a sequence of Morgans starting with the 1950 intermediate
cowled models and moving through up to the current product they get
wider and lower by stages.  The total is only inches, but it has a large
effect on the car.  This is quite well illustrated in the pictures of
the plus 8 in John Worralls book  Original Morgan.  The exception is the
4 seater which remains a couple of inches taller than the rest,

Dave Vodden
1992 Plus 4 4 Seater
Hampshire UK