Re: one-shot lubrication

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: one-shot lubrication
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@tag.csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:01:41 +1000
>Other than for authentisity, they really didn't work out.  I shouldn't say
>that.  They do an excellent job of keeping the front wings and wire wheels
>from rusting.  But as to their intended purpose of extending the live of the
>king pins, it didn't really work.

>John
>

>John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@exis.net
>Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229
>
>              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
>71 Saab Sonett III     75 Bricklin SV1     77 Spitfire

Not so John,

I had converted my 4/4 from the one shot system to grease nipples but
recently changed it back. The recommendation is to use molybdenum
disuplphite grease in the front suspension. The trouble is that this grease
tends to weep and dry out. The one shot system is great at replacing the
lost fluid. If the system is leaking oil everywhere then you are using it
too often or your kingpin bushes are shot.

The major wear in the front end is at the bottom bush and is mainly due to
dust getting in the excess grease and effectively turning it into grinding
paste. The top bush is protected by the dust cover that sits inside the top
coil spring. A good solution to this is to fit an oil seal under the stub
axle (above the rebound spring). This reqires having a cup machined which
will take the seal and fit snugly around the bottom of the stub axle. The
kigpins are 1" diameter and thin seals of this dimension are available at
most stockists. Leather is best but becoming hard to find.

Hard chroming the kingpins helps also as does the use of bushes made out of
the newer nylon based materials. The trouble is that you have to find
someone who really knows what they're doing to ream these nylon bushes.

Cheers

Steve

Stephen S. Moore
Principal Research Scientist
Beef CRC Molecular Genetics Sub Program Leader
CSIRO, Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories
University of Queensland, St. Lucia, 4072

ph 61 7 3214 2476
fax 61 7 3214 2480