Re: Specs. please?

To: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>, <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Specs. please?
From: "Vern Dale-Johnson" <vern_dj@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:25:59 -0400
I'm afraid to even open my email to see what statements have been thrown at
me.

Woke up at 3 am realizing another grevious error -- of course US gallons
have 128 oz, vs the 160 of the imperial gallon.  Got me to thinking though,
how did the US decide on 128 oz in a gallon?  They used the same size ounce
so..... either some shady Americans were trying to trick the Brits (and, if
so, I have no regrets for our little scam as kids selling boat gas) or.....
could it be that some enterprising Texan decided to set the size of a US
gallon based on what he could get in his hat?  Mighty big hat it was, too...
was able to get 8 imperial gallons in but... as is most common with Texans
(even Canadians know they exaggerate) decided to call it an even "10" and
thus the 1280 ounces of the imperial 8 became 10 US gallons at 128 ounces
each and the "10 gallon hat" was born.

Further explanation by those who are privy to the details of such history
would be appreciated.

And yes, I will not be answering emails on-line in future, will revert to my
normal disconnect, read, reply, reconnect and send.  Then, at least, I have
time to think through my errors before the world confirms the errors
inherent in my hasty response.

Jeff -- just don't underfill that dif!

Vern DJ