Re: Specs. please?

To: "William G. Lamb, III" <lambroving@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Specs. please?
From: toad <toad@storm.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:23:42 -0400
William G. Lamb, III wrote:

>  My Lord, we are an old bunch! Jacky Fisher might have been the biggest
> proponent of H.M.S. Dreadnought, but it was Percy Scott who figured out
> how to get some use out of the thing, (Father of modern naval gunnery),
> and Admiral Lord Jellicoe, the only man capable of forfeiting W.W. I in
> a single battle, and made sufficient impression at Jutland, (no help from
> Beatty), turning a slight tactical defeat into a strategic victory, (the
> German
> Fleet never again dared sail again). The U.S.S. BB was not exactly based
> on contemporary Dreadnoughts. I vaguely recall reading that we were earlier
> in converting to oil due to the distances our Fleet needed to travel, and we
> were first at eliminating casement guns which were a hold-over in the R.N..
> from wooden ships of the line, (as these had a rather limited field of fire).
>
> W.G.L.,III (long, long ago U.S.N.)
>
> At 08:55 PM 4/21/99 -0400, toad wrote:
> >
> >And don't forget the American warship is still a Jackie Fisher design.
> >Who was Jackie Fisher?
> >Anybody know??
> >
> >Toad

Evening
You are good.  Or rather GREAT.  I am not sure I would agree about your
thoughts on Percy but one must remember that Jellicoe within 12 hours of
Jutland did signal the Admiralty he was once again capable to resume
battle and it was Fisher who was the First Lord of the Admiralty at the
onset of the First World War as I recall. (without checking my reference
books)

Thanks again

Toad