Another Question Regarding Spark Plugs

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another Question Regarding Spark Plugs
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 04 May 99 18:55:42 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Okay while everyone is thinking sparks and such let me ask a question of the
old timers .
My sweet wife bought  me an old  Champion Spark Plug cleaning  machine, the
kind  with a hole to stick the dirty plug and pressing  a lever  sand blasts
the tip clean ( she didn't know what it was but " it  looked like something
that the Duchess might enjoy ")
It works well but in using it I had a question come to mind. Given the cost
of new plugs  why would anyone want to clean an old one ?  I mean the labor
charge to clean the plugs has to be greater than the cost of buying a new
plugs .  Were plugs real expensive back in the good old days ?
Secondly, part of this magic machine is a chamber  to mount  a plug ,
pressurize the chamber  and fire the plug . The only measuring tool attached
is a pressure gauge but there is a mirror to see the plug fire.
  What is  this feature all about ?

Thanks

Bob Nogueira   '' who now doesn't feel all that old "