Re: Another Question Regarding Spark Plugs

To: LSelz@aol.com
Subject: Re: Another Question Regarding Spark Plugs
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <ebrown@ms.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 08:02:50 -0400
There was a time when, as a graduate student, I saved pennies by cleaning and
regapping the plugs in a BMW 1600-2 that we had. At 62,000 miles the car started
using oil and blowing blue clouds of smoke. I pulled the plugs, found one with a
piece of insulator missing inside -- a tiny chunk really -- and upon pulling the
head found that the cylinder wall had a long score mark in it in that same
cylinder. My verdict: the insulator somehow got jammed down in there and did a
job on the oil seal and compression. Had to bore the car out, so making a virtue
out of necessity, it became the first 1800-2 in the US. That rebuild cost me
plenty of my scarce student bucks. Ever since, the only plugs I clean and gap
are in the lawnmower, and only then if I don't have a new one handy. It ain't
worth the risk.

Chip Brown