Re: OLD AMERICANS

To: Lorne Goldman <snotrek@cil.qc.ca>
Subject: Re: OLD AMERICANS
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 17:33:27 -0600
Hey Olde Brit, Hey Lorne, Hey Guys,

My recollection on the olde vettes differs a little from Lorne's...

The '53, '54, and '55 were nearly indistinuishable from the exterior
only.

The '54s were available in more than one color, seems to me that there
were half-a-dozen. BUT the vast majority of the cars were white. Most of
the rest were blue. So, if the car is represented as a '55 having the
original color and it is neither white nor blue, it MAY actually be a
'55.

However, the cloth tops in '54 were all beige (tan?) but in '55 there
were a number of choices. So, if you are looking at a car which is
represented as a '55 having the original color body and top and it is
neither white nor blue, AND has a white or black top, it is likely a
'55.

There were a few little changes in the interior but damned if I can
remember what.

Also note that the '55 is by far the rarest Vette with well less than
1000 units produced. Seems to me that the '53 and '54 production was up
around 10,000 units combined, SO... regardless of color combinations,
what looks to be a '55 may well be '54 masquerading as the much more
valuable '55.

The base engine/trans for '53 and '54 was the the "Blue Flame" 6 (235
ci) with 3 carbs (each a single barrel) coupled to a Powerglide auto. In
'55 the base engine was still the Blue Flame 6 but I think it was
coupled to a 3-speed tranny. The '55 was the first time the 265 V8 (with
a single 4 bbl) was available coupled to either an auto or stick. IF the
'55 had the 265 the word "chevrolet" on the front fender was written
with a huge stylized "V" as in "cheVrolet".

All the above in my memory only but if someone is trying to sell you a
'55, I suggest you be very careful about the provence. When I was about
16 (1961ish) I had a goombah who bought a '55 and did not learn until he
went to sell it, around 1968, that it was actually a '54 with a 265 and
various other '55 trim items. The '55 brings about 3X of the '54.

All of which goes, I reckon, to explain why Corvette lovers are such
nutte-jobs about "matching numbers."

Cheers!

--Colin  Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'65 Tiger MKI, '66 Plus 4, '67 Alpine SV