Re: OLD AMERICANS

To: ROWEMOGS@aol.com
Subject: Re: OLD AMERICANS
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@home.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 14:04:54 -0700
The entire model lineup and specs for Pierce-Arrows (including model
1601) can be found at the following URL:
http://www.pierce-arrow.org/specs.html

I've extracted some text from the history page of the Society for your
edification:

"Pierce-Arrow brought out their last all-new model in 1936. The bodies
were redesigned,
with still more rounded styling. The 1936-38 cars have a distinctive
arrangement of four
"headlights" . An overdrive transmission and vacuum-boosted brakes
were standard
equipment. The 1936 Pierce-Arrows were among the finest cars the
company had
produced. The 1937 and 1938 cars were minor modifications of the 1936
design.

In late 1936, Pierce-Arrow introduced the Travelodge trailer. Offered
in three models,
the Travelodge trailers had an aluminum skin over a steel frame.
Hydraulic brakes were
standard. Inside, the trailers offered the convenience and luxury one
would expect from
Pierce-Arrow. The birch and gum wooden interior had a dining area, ice
box, gas cook
stove, wood heating stove, water tank and a sleeping arrangement.
About 450 of the
Travelodge trailers were produced. "

Other pages at the same site list brief historical notes about the
last years of the company as well.  It was the highest production
model in the later years (635) and a large number survived (58) in the
Pierce-Arrow Society.

More information on the Travelodge is available in Automobile
Quarterly Volume 21, Number 2 (back issues available at
http://www.autoquarterly.com/backissue.html )

-----------
For 1955, Chevrolet Corvette added Gypsy Red, Corvette Copper, and
Harvest Gold as exterior colors and dropped the Black and Sportsmen
Red colors from 1954.

"To commemorate the new V-8 engine, 1955 Corvettes featured an
enlarged, gold "V" in the "Corvette" script on the front fender
panels."

This information was gleaned from the following site:
http://www.rogerscorvette.com/history.htm

Do I win?

--
"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer