RE: Coach Painting

To: "'Gary Moles'" <morgannz@manawatu.gen.nz>
Subject: RE: Coach Painting
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 19:24:29 -0400
Gary,

There is a section on "coach painting" in "The restoration of vintage and
thoroughbred cars" by Richard C. Wheatley and Brian Morgan. (pp. 141 - 143,
second edition 1967. B.T. Batsford Ltd. London UK).

The authors refer to "the products of Llewellyn Ryland Ltd."  Basically,
apply a coat of metal primer.  Fill all dents, blemishes with "Ryland"
knifing filler. Rub down the filled surface with 260-grade wet-and-dry
paper.

When the surface is as smooth "as it should be," [note qualitative term],
apply one coat of Llewellyn Ryland Brushing Filler over the entire body and
allow 24 hours to dry.  Use a new brush so that "any loose hairs" dropping
out at this stage is beats them dropping out later "when such a thing
becomes a calamity."

Rub this coat down with 26o-grade wet-and-dry paper to "get a dead flat
surface."  Greatest precaution must be taken to avoid dust and this means
hanging dust sheets horizontally between the ceiling and the car, floor must
be kept with a watering can, doors and windows must be kept shut.  The
authors recommend Llewellyn Ryland's Coach Painting Ground Colour, a "flat
paint."

The authors recommend practicing painting on a vertical metal panel held in
a vice. Finish with vertical strokes, working from top to bottom.

Allow the first coat to dry 24 hours and then go at it with the 260-grade
wet-and-dry paper again. Repeat this three times (painting, drying, sanding)
but the last coat should consist of 75% Ground Colour and 25% Ryland
Flatting Varnish that you have to mix yourself.  This coat should not be
rubbed down but it will dry "rather more matt" and give a better surface for
the final varnish.

Varnishing is done using Ryland Flatting Varnish and "a very soft brush."
Put one coat and let dry 48 hours. Rub down very lightly with 400 grade
wet-and-dry. Put on another coat, let dry 48 hours and rub down and finish
with a "last coat which is Ryland Finishing Body Varnish" which is not
rubbed down.

Leave the body for 7 days and "resist the temptation of testing the varnish
with your finger."  After 7 days, give the whole surface a good wash with
clean cold water.

Looks more like a job to start in the fall so that you will not be tempted
to rush this job.  If you don't already live on the Wet Coast, moving to
Seattle, Vancouver, or the UK may be a good idea on account of the dust.

Hope this will do.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB