Re: lubrication

To: KatHaus7@aol.com
Subject: Re: lubrication
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:42:20 +0100
KatHaus7@aol.com writes
>What kind of "tools" do I need to lube my Morgan? Can I buy a grease gun from
>the local AutoZone or do I need to special order something? And how do I get
>the oil into all these little places? Especially where do I put the oil in
>the Moss gear box?

There has already been an excellent reply to your basic question, but I
thought I'd add some more details.

There is a pretty good manual, although it does gloss over some of the
more idiosyncratic details and variations, "Morgan Four, Owners Workshop
Manual", R.Clarke, Brooklands Books ISBN 1 870642 635

Page 159 has the lube chart for a +4.

Starting from the back,
        Rear hubs, grease every 5000 miles
        Rear axle, drain refill with hypoid oil every 5000 mile
        UJ shaft joints/splines grease every 3000 miles
        Gearbox, check every 2500 miles
        Pedal brackets, grease every 5000 miles
        Clutch Thrust, grease every 5000 m
        Contact breaker pivot, spot of oil every 5000 m
        Dipstick sump, check every 300 miles
        dynamo, check every 10000 m
        water pump, grease every 5000 m
        steering box, check level every 5000 m
        Front hubs, repack with grease every 5000 m
        Sliding axles, grease every 3000 m
        Track rod ends/drag link ends, grease every 5000 m
        Change engine oil every 3000 m

Time consuming but not difficult, get a good quality grease gun with a
flexible hose, (mine's for a tractor!), a good oil can and a good
quality grease. You will need a proper floor jack and some axle stands
as you will be grovelling under the car for about a third of the time.

A 5000 mile service for my 4/4 takes about 3 hours, much of which is
spent cleaning the lube points before adding goo and tightening the nuts
and bolts being vibrated loose. The +4 won't be much different.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str