Re: Cooling

To: BradFarr@aol.com, "Morgan List" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling
From: " LMG@GoMoG " <gomog@angelfire.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:04:30 -0400
---
LMG
GoMoG at
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/GoMoG/

If your coolant is boiling at 220-230 you have either
 a improper anti-freeze water mixture (unlikely) or
(more likely) a defective radiator cap. 15 pounds of
 pressure significantly raises the temperature that the
 coolant will boil at. If the spring in the old cap is
gone or going..(happens often and easy to fix) you will
 boil at lower temps. As you noted, your temperature is
 now the same with the aluminum rad in traffic but
 there is no boiling..ergo better cap on new rad.

I never had boiling but I didn't like the temps. I was
 about to buy an aluminum rad but opted instead for a
 Plus 8 airscoop and a high powered fan. At speed, the
 airscoop is very efficent and brings the temp down in
 minutes. In stop and go traffic on a very hot day, the
 fan holds the temperature under 110C.

Lorne
1984 Plus 8 EFI