RE: Wood Frame Assembly

To: "'Ernest(Chip) Brown'" <Chip.Brown@msdw.com>,
Subject: RE: Wood Frame Assembly
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:06:46 -0500
Chip,

Yes, a waterproof glue would be a good idea to bond the wood but also the
seal up any gaps between the wood pieces so that moisture cannot collect.
The whole glue business is an art by itself.  Again, the Lee Valley site has
some good information.  As to brass screws, provided the hole is drilled
properly and a lubricant is added (I prefer wax to soap), the screw heads
should survive the assault by the screwdriver.  Maybe stainless steel screws
would be as good or better than brass ones.  Not to flog Lee Valley on
unsuspecting buyers, but this company also sells Spax screws.  They claim
that these screws can be screwed into undrilled maple.  The threads on these
screws are serrated and are wider than the shank and the screws are coated
with a Teflon-type coating.  I've never used them myself, but I'm curious to
see if they are as good as the supplier claims.

Chuck