RE: Wood Frame Assembly

To: "'Scott Seidler'" <sseidler@easterndatacomm.com>
Subject: RE: Wood Frame Assembly
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:14:38 -0500
Scott,

Yes, I was assuming that you would be drilling pilot holes but if you use a
"normal" drill bit, you end up with a pilot hole with a constant diameter.
A properly drilled hole for a countersunk screw has three regions: the
diameter where the threads go should be smaller than the part where there
are no threads (I can't think of the name of that part, could be "shank").
Near the surface, there should be a "dimple" for the recessed head.  You can
get drill bits that will drill all this in one pass.  If you do it the way I
describe, the wood will not split because the threads will "bite" into the
wood and there is enough tolerance for the "shank" of the screw.  If you use
a "normal" drill bit, you have to compromise and either make the hole too
small for the "shank" or too bit for the threads of the screw to "bite."

I see no problem with grinding off the excess of the screws that protrudes,
but keep in mind that the aspect ratio of most screws is reasonably
constant, so a screw that is longer than it needs to be is also going to be
"fatter" than it needs to be and will need a bigger hole, which may weaken
the wood.  If you do grind off the excess, this would be another reason to
stay away from galvanized screws.  Considering the amount of effort and
money involved in a restoration project, I'd go with the best materials.

Boy, giving advice is sure a lot simpler than doing the work myself!

All the best,

Chuck