Re: Wood Frame Assembly

To: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Subject: Re: Wood Frame Assembly
From: toad <toad@storm.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:45:45 -0500
Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:

> Chip,
>
> Yes, a waterproof glue would be a good idea to bond the wood but also the
> seal up any gaps between the wood pieces so that moisture cannot collect.
> The whole glue business is an art by itself.  Again, the Lee Valley site has
> some good information.  As to brass screws, provided the hole is drilled
> properly and a lubricant is added (I prefer wax to soap), the screw heads
> should survive the assault by the screwdriver.  Maybe stainless steel screws
> would be as good or better than brass ones.  Not to flog Lee Valley on
> unsuspecting buyers, but this company also sells Spax screws.  They claim
> that these screws can be screwed into undrilled maple.  The threads on these
> screws are serrated and are wider than the shank and the screws are coated
> with a Teflon-type coating.  I've never used them myself, but I'm curious to
> see if they are as good as the supplier claims.
>
> Chuck
>
>         ----------

Brethren
I have used the Spax screws as offered by Lee Valley and have found them
to be excellent.
I have been able to twist off screw heads in ash even after having
drilled a pilot hole and coating the screw with wax when using a regular
screw.  The Spax screw goes in easier and appears to have the same
holding power. (And no twist off.)
As a point of interest these opinions are based upon building and
assembling an ash body for Angus and assembling an ash body for a '57

Nobody asked for comments on joints and seams so I won't comment.

Regards

Toad
'59 Plus 4
'57 Plus 4
And Angus the '33 Super Sport (MX4 powered)