Re: Wood Frame Assembly

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wood Frame Assembly
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:52:58 -0500
At 11:59 AM 3/17/00 -0500, Scott Seidler wrote:

>I am starting assembly of the wood frame on the +4 (4seat)
>
>I have a questions regarding bolts/screws.
>
>Forgetting the original set up for the time being - what is the best (or
>preferred) modern way to assemble and affix the wood chasis. Ive seen screws
>completely through and ground off on the inside (seemed pretty tight to me.
>And Ive read short screws so as they dont come through at all.

Scott,

   With all the answers you've gotten, I haven't seen anyone suggest using
T nuts and bolts.  If you really want to go the "nut & bolt" road.  However,
I don't see anything wrong with the plain wood screws.  They've been around
for a long time and seem to work pretty well.

   If you plan on using the original wood screws, there is a list of screws
used to put the tub back together along with a chart for pilot hole sizes
in the tech section of my Morgan web page:  www.team.net/www/morgan

>What about through bolting perhaps?  And what of glue? should there be any
>on the joints? Which types of screws would be needed/recommended (stainless,
>brass, galvanized?)

  I prefer the stainless, and used them everywhere except for where grade 8
bolts should be used.  I've since found a source for grade 8 stainless bolts
also.  You just don't have to worry about the rust as much.

  Which brings to mind another point.  I strongly suggest using locktite
on ALL nut & bolts.  If you opt NOT to use the wood screws, I'd use the
locktite on the bolts you use in the wood also.

In another post, you also asked about gluing the wood together and sealing
the wood.  When my morgan was totaled back in 70, I used some sort of milky
wood treatment.  It worked pretty well.  However, when I restored it in 88,
I opted to seal every piece of wood with West System Epoxy.  I did each piece
of wood seperately.  Then assembled the tub.  I had to file the excess epoxy
out of all the groves where other wood fit.

IMHO I would NOT glue the tub together.  I personally don't like distructive
methods for taking things apart.  That is one of the things I really like
about the Morgan.  You really didn't need some of the heavy duty tools that
are required to work on other cars as everything bolted together.

In fact, I don't like the way the rear cap strips are originally installed.
When I did the restoration, I polished the cap strips and put them on with
oval,  phillips head wood screws.  It really made the back stand out!!!
However, when I started showing the car in National AACA competition, I
had to plug the tops of the screws and paint the strips.

Hope this sheds some more light on the subject.  If you haven't read the
articles on my web page, there are 2 or 3 articles about putting the tub
back together.

Good luck.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan