Re: [oletrucks] Test - Plus a Question

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Test - Plus a Question
From: "Lewis Osborn" <losborn@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 07:08:57 -0800
From: The Hansons <dustyrose@mcn.net>
> I will certainly take the doors off now but what side of the hinges
should
>I attack. The guy I had bought the truck from was trying to remove the
D/S
>door but had screwed up from what he told me. Needless to say the door
is
>hanging by the top hinge. Do I need to go at it from the side attached
>the door or the kick panel.?

When my Dad and I changed the doors back in ~'74, we were unable to get
the bolts out of the hinges on the cab side.  Since we could get to the
backs of the hinges on the door side easier - and if we messed a door
up, it was better than messing the cab up - we got those out.  If memory
serves, we used heat to do it.

This time I want to get the hinges out of the cab, so will do whatever
it takes to get the bolts out.  I've decided to do the door side first,
though, for the same reasons outlined above, and to get the doors out of
the way, so it's easier to get to the cab side of the hinges.  I had to
use heat again, and this time, when the bolts turned, the threads in the
hinges - mosted turned to rust - disinagrated, so I'll either have to
find some new hinges or drill and tap to larger bolts.  Probably new
hinges.

Lewis - K7LVO Valley of the Rogue-Medford, OR
"The Forty" - 40 Chevy PU - One Owner
http://www.teleport.com/~losborn/1940.html