[oletrucks] More Swappin' Lies About Suppliers

To: SchornT@ci.fort-worth.tx.us, tcape@weblnk.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] More Swappin' Lies About Suppliers
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:43:31 EST
Tim Schorn laments:

        "people like Seth Doulton have been in this business for many years and
they
know how to make money...that is his goal, not satisfying you, no matter what
the business spin doctors tell you. His formula is low or no inventory and
cheap labor."

        I had another point in mind. Seth Doulton, (who I assume from the
context has
something to do with Golden State) has indeed run a successful business for
some years and may well continue into the unpredictable future. No argument
there! The point is that he is not MAXIMIZING his profits by pissing good
customers off. His motivation, while possibly interesting in a gossipy sort of
way, is not a concern of mine. The service of his people and quality of the
parts he provides are my concern.
        I my own case, I have now spent something like $700. at his place but
have
decided to take most of my future purchases to Carter's, Chevy Duty, Patrick's
and perhaps Obsolete Chevy based on communication with other customers, mostly
here on this list. We no longer HAVE to take bad service because we have
nowhere else to turn. We have all heard a lot about the way computers and the
"net" will alter our lives. Mr. Doulton may well be introduced to one of them.

Tom Caperton recalls:

        "I believe Jim Forbes (previous Oletrucker) contacted one or two
vendors to
try and get them interested in the list.  I don't believe he had any success.
It's a great idea....and makes perfect sense...but vendors don't seem to be
too interested."

        That's sad.

Tom goes on to ask:

        "Has anyone ever approached a vendor and said..."We have 500 members. If
you'll give us a 10% (or 20% or whatever) discount, we can give you lots of
business." Maybe it hasn't happened because we've just never presented it."

        While this is a terrific idea for those of us on this list, and may
well be a
good money maker for some sharp vendor,  I had a different point in mind by my
question. I am on another computer list like the oletruck list called Brit-
Iron that  focuses on British motorcycles. Just as in the old Chevy truck
world, there are many competing vendors for parts and service. On the "Brit-
Iron" list many of our suppliers participate by posting how-to tips and help
with diagnosing problems. They also send off list e-mail offers to sell parts,
often at a discount. We all benefit because we know each other and can work
out any hitches among friends

Paul O'Neil,
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
Hudson29@aol.com