RE: [oletrucks] Off-topic: Older vs. Newer vehicles- which is safer?

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Off-topic: Older vs. Newer vehicles- which is safer?
From: "Gwyn Reedy" <mgr@mgrcorp.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:20:53 -0500
This is an interesting thread. I looked at the reference and read it all.
Makes sense, but I don't think people consciously decide they need to
restore some level of risk, it is just a natural thing. Too safe is boring,
I guess. It is for me.

I have always been kind of a risk taker. Nothing too drastic, but I find
some excitement is needed. Never thought I am much different than other
people...

Lately safety has become a sales tool. See the advert about the Chevy Blazer
driving through a rain storm and the announcer telling everyone how safe
they are inside. To me, a blizzard or heavy thunderstorm is an exciting
event which breaks up the daily monotony. I enjoy them, not fear them. But I
notice my wife is not the same way - she enjoys them if I'm driving, but not
if she is.

Don't mean to get too heavy with the philosophy, but the purpose of life is
not to be safe (IMHO). The purpose is to DO SOMETHING, and that means you
need to take some risks. Avoid the big risks, and don't take too many
foolishly (but go ahead and take that hang-glider lesson if it interests
you) but don't sit around worrying about how to be safer.

I have always worn seat belts and shoulder harness in autos and airplanes.
(Note how they used to be called seat belts and now they are called safety
belts !!) Bought a 70 Chevy C-50 without belts and really feel uncomfortable
driving it without them. But I don't much care whether I have an air bag or
ABS.

Someone commented about the warnings on food and products. Why all the
warnings? Is it because people are not aware of the common details of life?
Kids seem to learn about hot stoves before they are old enough to read
warning labels etc. IMO if you don't know a cup of coffee is hot when it is
poured, you deserve to find out the hard way. That lesson will stick with
you.

This will probably sound very crass, but I don't think it is. Many 'safety
issues' are really about power and control. If a special interest group
wants to get something done, they say it is for safety or for the children
and then it is hard to oppose them. Death is a part of life. All we can do
is tinker with the timing. As someone else said about this: my epitaph
should read only, "When he was alive, he lived."

Gwyn Reedy
Brandon, Florida
mailto:mgr@mgrcorp.com