[oletrucks] Sick 327

To: "'oletrucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Sick 327
From: Tom Burt <tburt@hirose.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:45:36 -0800
Okay, okay!  I've tuned up V8s before and never any had problems.  I just
never handled high performance engines.
My '57 has a late 60's 327 that I had replaced coil, points, cap, rotor,
and added a complete set of Accel high performance ignition wires.  Plugs
look okay and didn't need replacement.
It starts on first pop, almost like it has electronic ignition and idles
quite well.  But, when I take it out on the road, it misses badly...dang!
I am a little frustrated with this one.
Q: Got any ideas?

Note:  It has a Edelbrock 4bbl and idles about 1100 RPM and there is
commonly the smell of raw gas after shutting it down.  When running idle
the exhaust fumes are quite rich (wife gets angry..says it chokes out the
entire neighborhood).  It's set up with a Edelbrock hi-rise and headers, so
there's no flow restriction there.  The mis-firing is not consistent and is
at times random.
Q: Could the fuel mixture be too rich and occasionally (maybe randomly)
fouling the plugs while on the fly?

Tom B. 57 Stepside 3200