Re: [oletrucks] Sick 327

To: "Tom Burt" <tburt@hirose.com>, "'oletrucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Sick 327
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:12:35 -0800
Tom,
First thing, you should try and back the idle down.  If you have a manual
tranny you should be idling somewhere around 550-600 RPM (unless the cam is
radical enough that it won't allow that).  If you have an automatic tranny,
when you put it in Drive, the RPMs should drop 300 or 400 RPM's to
somewhere around 500-600 RPM (in Park, your RPM's will be 800-900
RPM).(These are ball-park figures YVMV). Next, check your timing.  Was it
missing or was it running rough?  Do you have the owners manual for the
carb?  There is a description in there on how to lean it out, it sounds
like it is running really rich.  If you don't have the manual, you should
be able to access it on Edlebrocks web-site (they have a lot of stuff up
there).  Also, what model carb is it?  Is it a Performer series, or one of
the Q-jet replacements?  Also, is the carb base sealing against the
manifold?  A vacuum leak will mess you up too.  Good luck with it. If it is
a Performer series, E-mail me and I can scan in the section on tuning, or
call me and I can try and talk you through it.

Kevin Lake 56 napco/burb GMC