Re: [oletrucks] new possible clunker law in OR

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] new possible clunker law in OR
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 09:05:33 EST
This is definitely a serious change in the approach to "clunker" laws and
definitely something we can't ignore--either from the legal side or from the
technical "how much emissions our trucks put out" side.  Notice that this is
much more insidious than the TX law that someone else put on the list
recently.  Even though this new approach is starting in Oregon, expect it to
spread to other states.

In case you haven't noticed, H**da and F**d these days are both advertising
that they are voluntarily beating the current emissions standards--I doubt
that it can be done without computer-controlled fuel injection with its full
array of sensors and a catalytic converter.  This is a very popular theme with
the Gen X crowd, who for the most part have no interest in vehicles as a
hobby.  Along with having the latest safety features, this theme is also
gaining popularity with the older population.  I'll have to get used to the
thought of anything 1981 and older as an antique unworthy of driving though.
Via connections with DOE, I also believe that the EPA will be imposing tighter
regulations in the future as well. . .and really look out if Al Gore is the
next president.

You guys that run antique tags, keep the miles down, and mostly show your
truck might not have much to worry about, but I still hope to drive my
Suburban as my primary daily driver for many years when it's done . . . which
is beginning to look like it may take many years years itself.  Oh well, TN
will hopefully be the last to pick this one up.

Bob Adler--You're most up on this subject.  Is there anything that those of us
in states that aren't doing any of this yet can do?

Mark Noakes
58/56 Suburban
Knoxville, TN