Re: [oletrucks] valve adjustment

To: cupola2@worldnet.att.net, oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] valve adjustment
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:52:29 EST
In a message dated 3/24/99 7:30:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cupola2@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< I'm using a 1954 Truck Shop Manuel as a reference to adjust the valves
 on  my '54 3100.  All that I can find is to make sure the engine is
 sufficiently warmed up.  Doesn't the position of the piston (TDC) come
 in to play also?
 Thank you,
 John >>

  I adjust my 235 after a fast idle for 30 minutes, and then slow the idle
down to spec, then adjust while running.  Takes a little feel on the drag of
the gauges, but you'll get used to it.

  The mess is minimal, just a few drips in the rear of the motor on the
passenger side, and easily cleaned off.

  Set aside a set of feeler gauges for this purpose only, after a few
adjustments, the gauges will start to "curl" up a bit.

  Mike