Re[2]: [oletrucks] OIL

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re[2]: [oletrucks] OIL
From: Lewis Osborn <losborn@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:03:12 -0800
Thursday, March 25, 1999, 11:26:58 AM, David wrote:

>     Used to be in the old days ('50s), they warned you against putting the
> newer detergent oils into an older engine.  Is that still wise?  Suppose you
> don't know what kind of oil has previously been in your engine over years,
> is there a safe way to proceed?

> Dave  '49  3100  235  3window
> Portland, Oregon
> raphael@teleport.com

What I always heard is that it could be a bad idea to change from a
non-detergent oil to a detergent oil in a high mileage engine because
it would very possibly flush sludge loose that could in turn clog oil
passages.  I've never tried it, but it seems logical, and would be
just as true today as it was then.

Lewis - K7LVO Medford - Valley of the Rogue - OR
The Forty - 1940 Chevy Pickup - One Owner
http://www.teleport.com/~losborn/1940.html