Re: [oletrucks] External Coil Resistor

To: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] External Coil Resistor
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 14:45:19 -0400

Thomas Allen wrote:

> Alan:
>
> If you keep the 6V coil you will need a balast resistor between the ign. sw
> and the coil. If you use a 12V coil, no resistor is needed.

I have used 12 volt coils with no resistor and promptly burned up the points.
They get so hot the arm discolors. I know they sell coils with a resistor in
it, but still uses a resistor.  I must admit I never understood why. As I
understand it a coil is a transformer so why not make it to match the primary
and secondary voltages?  I too never found it necessary to use the starter
bypass circuit but I don't think it hurts, especially if you live near the
North Pole.

Grant 50 3100