RE: [oletrucks] External Coil Resistor

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] External Coil Resistor
From: sheldon <sheldon@ssmachine.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 15:09:22 -0700
Rob,

 This sounds right to me also, It's been years since I ran std points, but I
remember a 12V coil and
a resistor to run thru from the ignition to the coil, otherwise the points only
lasted a few months before
being burned and pitted.  The reason the wire goes from the starter to the
supply side of the coil is
when you are cranking the engine, the entire system voltage drops to about
10.5V (high load from starter)
and this maintains about 10V to the ignition system.

  Sheldon Schmidt '56 napco 4x4

I could be wrong here, but isn't this sorta backwards?  In other words,
shouldn't you use a resistor with the 12 volt coil if using a 12 volt
battery/system, but if running a 6v system (battery and coil) then no
resistor is necessary.  Now, if you are using a 6v coil in a 12 volt system,
I'd have to say, "why"?

The purpose of the resistor, is to allow the full 12 volts for cranking,
then it cuts the voltage down to conserve the points.  Now, as I said, I
could be wrong, but this is the way it was explained to me, and made sense
then and now.

Rob