Re: [oletrucks] Starter Problems

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Starter Problems
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:45:00 -0700
There are several starter/flywheel (flexplate) combos and you need a matching
set-up.
If you're sure you have a matching combo,  the starter may be too close in
towards the block, and the gear on the end of the shaft (Bendix assy) hits
the flywheel but doesn't engage. This is quite common and most replacement
starters will come with shims to manipulate the starter away from the block.
These are just pieces of metal stock approx 3/4" wide with "U" shaped cut-outs
to allow sliding in between the starter and block mounting surface. I used
all the
supplied shims which came with the rebuilt NAPA starter for my 283 in our 49
and it still wouldn't engage. I ended up making a thicker one and it's been
working
fine for over a year and 1/2. There was some instructions with the starter
which
called out the clearance between the starter gear and ring gear  (flywheel)
which
is checked by manually prying the starter gear out and checking for .015"
between
the gears.
>> I finnely got my 350 into my 52, and today I tryed to turn the engine
>over,
>> When I Turn the key the starter spins but sounds like its spining to fast
>> and not turning the engine over. Does anyone have any Idea what the
>promblem
>> could be?

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer          e-mail - bfischer@utm.net

robert.fischer@cdc.com

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2251           rfischer@worldnet.att.net