Re: [oletrucks] Headliner

To: bigd@win.bright.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Headliner
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:53:03 EDT
For Art Deco and earlier trucks the recommendation is to use ammonia to
soften the cardboard, but this turns them into mush in short order.  For AD I
spray paint on the hidden side to help waterproof the cardboard.  I have told
Jim Carter he should start with an outdoor type cardboard, perhaps with more
plastic/ less cellulose to keep from absorbing moisture.  Repros do not hold
up well, and we must complain about ti to vendors.  I buy 2 or 3 so I can get
one in without cracking it. Kelly, are you listening?  Packing is also a
problem as when rolled too tightly they crack in transit.  I think that is
another manifestation of the wrong material being used.

Glue:  AD Trucks came with heavy felt paper glued to the roof.  I have
replaced this with Q pads from Fiberglass/Evercoat company.  I'm sure the
original felt was full of asbestos, so wear respirator when removing.  Mouse
droppings also rain down.  there is no place for glue on a headliner that has
metal retainer strips.  Purpose of original felt was to keep condensation
from dropping down onto cardboard.  I don't think there is much sound up
there to insulate.  I always prep, prime and paint roof inside before putting
insulating pads on.
Bob ADler