Re: [oletrucks] 59 3600 that drives itself!

To: "Jeff Davis" <jsd51@hotmail.com>, <architectmsu@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 59 3600 that drives itself!
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:48:18 -0500
I also had a similar problem when I first got on the road.  Look for slop (&
wear) in drag link assembly, as well as, the tie rod ends & balls.  My
steering box was ok (not great tight, but ok), but the balls on the Pitman
arm & the steering knuckle were egg shaped & I had one broken spring in the
drag link as well as cracks in the drag link (fatigued & stretching).  I
replaced the balls with bolt-ins from Jim Carters & a new drag link (also
from Jim's) & without doing anything to the tie rod, it's magnitudes better
(oh, my kingpins were fairly new when I got the truck-about the only thing I
DIDN'T have to do!).  If you see the need to replace the balls (with
bolt-ins OR press-ins) you need to take the Pitman arm & the steering
knuckle to a machine shop & have them grind a major portion off of the back
of each (to remove the mushroom lip that is on the back of the ball) & then
press the old balls out; this is not something you are going to do at home,
unless you have a BIG grinder &&&&& a 20+ ton H-press.

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX