Re: [oletrucks] Cooling System Questions

To: ALJ@hartcrowser.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Cooling System Questions
From: miq@teleport.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:25:39 -0700 (PDT)
Allen L. Jones says:

> I'm also using the 7lb cap with an original radiator recored with a staggered
>tube/louvered fin core, a water pump from Patrick's, and a 160F thermo.  The
>freshly rebuilt 261 runs at about 170F.
>
> What's pretty hot?  When I broke in the cam on the 261, it probably burned a
>little hot at first (less than 190F), but has settled down to the 170F.  Once
>the engine is broke in, I'll probably switch to the 185F thermo.  Good luck!
>
> gerryrd@verendrye.com writes:
>
> << I finally got my 57 235 in my 41 3/4T running last night.Seemed to run
>  pretty hot.  I've got a 180 thermostat, using 41 3/4t radiator (just
>  back from radiator shop) , using Jack Carter's shortened shaft water
>  pump.
>
>  Question is: Original 216 installed used a non-pressure radiator cap,
>  should 235 be using a pressurized cap with ?? rating??  Is thermostat
>  too hot?? any opinions??
>
>  Would appreciate any advice!!
>  TIA
>  Gerry
>  41 3/4T >>

Two words of advice here:

Fan shroud.

Two more:

Get one.

Two more:

Use it.

I've got the 1 1/2 ton radiator in my '57 its about 2 inches thick and 3 or
so wider than the stock.  I had a sheet metal place help me fabricate an
aluminum shroud that fit the wider radiator.  When I put it on, the trucks
temps dropped 20 degrees when idling in traffic.

Also swap out the original exploding 4 blade fan for a newer 6 blade
model.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com