Re: [oletrucks] Cooling System Questions

To: sculver@iwl.net, trks@javanet.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Cooling System Questions
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:02:31 EDT
In a message dated 9/3/99 5:59:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, sculver@iwl.net
writes:

<< Grant (and other list members)-

 I caught your note about the high engine temp in hot weather, for extended
 high speed driving.  I have the same situation.  Just had my engine ('59
 model 235) rebuilt, and got the radiator cored, 160 thermostat, 13 lb.
 pressure cap.  Down here in the Houston area, it's been in the 100s pretty
 much every day during the summer, and that has definitely been a factor with
 my engine temperature.  On a rare cool day, I don't get anywhere near the
 thermostat setting, but usually I go well above the 160 mark.  It's even
 worse when I get on the freeway and stay at 55 for a few miles.  I wonder if
 there's anything I should use other than straight antifreeze.  Miq mentioned
 a fan shroud.  Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what that is.  I may,
 or may not have one, and will definitely get one if I need it.  Another list
 member, Gerry, mentioned that he has his heater connections capped off, and
 does not have the circulation through the heater.  Neither do I.  So how do
 I cool things off?  Might also mention that the hotter the engine runs, the
 lower the oil pressure-

 Smokey
 '50 3600 5-window

  If I read you right, are you running straight antifreeze?  Should be 50/50
mix.

  A fan shroud is like a tunnel that the fan sits in, it helps pull the air
from through the radiator, and not around it.

  Have you checked your lower hose?  Most likely if you can squeeze it
together, you should replace it.

  Mike