Re: [oletrucks] Task Force Radios

To: "tim" <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>, "Ole Truckers" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Task Force Radios
From: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@silverback.gorilla.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:23:25 -0500
I also recommend the Blaupunkt. I don't think they cost that much more
and are quite good. I have one with AM/FM/CD and even though the truck
rides like a brick the CD has never skipped that I can tell.

I have my Blau mounted on a panel inset from the original radio speaker
location. (It is just short enough to clear my A/C unit.) I am working on a
hinged attachment of the original speaker grill to cover and hide the unit
when not in use. If I get the grill in just the right place I should be able
insert and retrieve the CDs when the grill is down.

My front speakers are 6" Blau and are mounted upside down under the
dash on each end to be out of sight. This may sound funny but the reflected
mid and high sounds are pretty good from that position. I also added two
Blau 8" sub woofers powered by a separate amp. Each woofer is in a
separate enclosure setting on the gas tank. I found a couple of "Sub Zero"
enclosures which fit just right.

The rear speaker wires are run to the tailgate. This way I can plug in a
'boom box' and have an instant tailgate party. I just add a small children's
wading pool to sit in and a beverage of my choice. (Works good at the
drive-in also. Just don't loose the water getting there.)

Lonnie

PS I looked at the radios from Custom. I was not really impressed with the
     features, quality,or price. The only thing they had going for them was
the
     conversion to shaft controls. If memory serves me correctly you should
     look into Kenwood. I think they are still making (in VERY small
quantities)
     a unit while will fit.