Re: [oletrucks] Bare Metal Prep.

To: Advdesign1@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bare Metal Prep.
From: miq@teleport.com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:37:44 -0700 (PDT)
Advdesign1@aol.com says:

> <<
>  My local PPG rep says that sandblasted metal is etched better than any
>  etching primer can do so etching primer can be eliminated when priming
>  sandblasted surfaces.
>
>  Bob (Adler) and others, do you agree with this theory? >>
>
> I've heard it both ways.  Etching primer gives a chemical bond whild epoxy
> gives only physical bond.  Etching primer neutralizes microscopic rust left
> after blasting.

When I was prepping the '53 cab for paint I did both, well actually I did
this:

1) chemical strip the exterior
2) DA sand with 60 grit to get rid of old bondo
3) cut out rusty bits, patch in new panels where needed (cab corners 1 fender)
4) spray with etching primer
5) sand with 150 grit wet/dry (dry no water)
6) spray with epoxy sealant primer
7) apply plastic filler where needed (couple of golf ball dings)
8) spray with epoxy filler primer (the heavy red oxide stuff)
9) sand with 220 grit wet dry (dry, no water)
10+) spray with skimmer coats of primer (lighter coat, dull grey about 3)
11+) sanded with 220 grit between each skimmer coat
16) spray with color prep primer (pale yellow, similar to final coat
17) sanded with 400 grit wet dry (wet this time)

A lot of work?  yeah, but the truck has a paint job you can shave in.

One other neat thing, the bed wood was made with 2x8's tongue-n-groove like
is used in barns, and the bed sides were painted with the same color
prepped primer, then the bed was coated with a spray in bedliner that is
transparent. its just as thick and tuff as the black stuff in my '57, but
you can see all the bits underneath.  It looks kinda like a really thick
coating of polyurethane.

In case anyone is wondering, this is the '53 with a 292 and th250 that my
wife uses "for gardening".

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com