Re: [oletrucks] Bare Metal Prep.

To: miq@teleport.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bare Metal Prep.
From: "Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:07:57 -0700
I have been listening to this thread and would like to give my input.
I had the cab on my '53 mechanically stripped, there is a place in Sacramento
that
uses a non-warping no sand method for metal stripping. The cab came out with a
mechanical etch.
My neighbor across the street happens to be a professional auto painter. Here is
what I did with my cab after his recommendations and after the paint removal
stripping.

1. Fix dents with Evercoat light body filler (Great product 1000 times better
than
bondo)
2. A coat of Dupont's Vari Primer (Self etching primer)
3. A couple of coats of Dupont's URO Primer (Filler primer and build up)
4. A light spray of black guide coat primer
5. Block the primer with 320 wet sand paper to find imperfections, lows and
highs
6. Fix the imperfections and add another coat of Uro primer where needed.
7. Sand block again with 320 and 400 grit wet sand paper
Finally a few coats of Duponts basecoat (Cool white from '99 VW bug) and 3 coats
of dupont's clear coat. Still need to sand block and buff for perfect finish.
It looks marvelous so far even without the final sand blocking and buffing. I
will
post pictures as soon as the film comes back from processing and I have time to
scan them.
BTW: I almost forgot, my neighbor recommended a gold pearl effect on the dash. I
looks incredible, it changes color depending on light direction.

That's all,

Antonio,
'53 3100