[oletrucks] Welding/Welder Question

To: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Welding/Welder Question
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:46:28 -0700
Hi Paul,

I've been studying the same stitch welders for the same reasons; I have
a big Lincoln that I got at a garage sale and was studying those stitch
welders you mentioned.  But I read recently that our ole trucks use 16
gauge steel, and those stitch welders only go up to 18 according to the
catalogs.  My mom says my dad used to weld body work with a normal arc
welder, but that was a long time ago and he did that work for a living.
I sure wish I'd grown up with him.

Recently somebody said that he did lots of welding with a flux core
welder and likes it, and is not tempted to get a MIG.  I haven't seen
the work, so I don't know yet.

Ed Miller
'58 Fleetside Apache (I just wire brushed the loose rust off the holes
in the cab roof; now they're much bigger.  Maybe I'll make a
convertible....)

Paul asks:  Anyway, I've been looking around at MIG welders and also
thinking about
other options for welding patch panels, etc.  I hear that MIG is great
but I already have a Lincoln Arc welder and a Campbell-Hausfield Flux
Core Wire welder (I should have saved my money and bought a MIG when I
bought it), but don't think I need three welders.

Does anyone have any experience with the stitch welder and the spot
welder that Eastwood or JC Whitney sells?  These hook up to a standard
arc welder and use the lower amperages to weld sheet metal.  I'd
appreciate your insight.