Re: [oletrucks] TH 350 crossmember

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TH 350 crossmember
From: The Swinging Alligator In The Swamp <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 02:10:25 -0400

> When I built my '48, I didn't modify the trans x-member at all, just
> bolted the T350 to it. It put the engine in exactly the right spot. I
> had to make a new trans cover for the floor as it sits up an inch or so,
> but that was no problem.
>
> Alan Gingles

Alan, when you installed your tranny, how was the line from the tranny to the
rear end (drive shaft line)?  I have both tranny/engine and rear end at 3 degree
angles, so a line running from each is parallel.  But if you were to run a
string rearward from the tranny, and one forward from the rear end, both on
their respective angles, the tranny string is above the rear end string.  Is
this OK (i.e. normal) even though the pinion angles are the same 3 degrees?
Looks a bit different, but I don't have a drive shaft in yet and have not had an
opportunity to test it as a running gear.  It seems to me you couldn't install
an engine low enough to let the drive shaft run dead straight on that 3 degree
angle to the rear end.  Hope this sounds OK and makes some sense, though I might
be rambling (my wife can attest to that)!  My tranny also sits up an inch or so
into the cab, necessitating a bit of sheet metal cutting in the toe board and
some fabbing of a tranny hump.  I have not done this yet due to patch panel work
on the cab that is currently in progress.  Sounds about like your set up
however, which is somewhat encouraging.

Wally / Templeton, MA
53 3100