Re: [oletrucks] an introduction

To: "Dan Wilkin" <msfandan@home.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] an introduction
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 09:42:52 -0800
Dan Wilkin wrote:

>hello - I have just signed up for this mailing list

    Hi Dan,

    Welcome.  Glad to have you with us.

>and here is why.  I am in the process of buying a 1951 gmc aluminum bodied
stepvan. it is totally stock top to bottom.

    Wow.  Post some photos so we can take a look.

>I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on
subjects such as.........

    Speaking personally, I hate to be the first guy to change something on a
stock truck.  There are so many uncompleted project trucks you can buy if
you want to modify, that it seems a shame to change things on a truck that
has managed to stay stock this long.  Nonetheless, I'm not a purist, and
things that keep the truck driving reliably, like a 12v conversion are
pretty easy to justify.

    I'd say, if possible, you should keep the original motor.  I'm assuming
it's a 216, or maybe an early 235.  These engines are good little engines
for around town deliveries like you seem to envision.  Their primary
weakness is the lack of full pressure oiling and babbit bearings on the
rods, but the truth is that these engines ran reliably if they weren't
abused.

    If you want to change, going to a '54 or later 235 with insert bearings
and oil pressure is also pretty cool.  These are very common, cheap to
rebuild, and pretty bullet proof.  They will usually bolt right in place of
the 216.

    Nothing woing with small blocks, and lots of folks will think my
attachment to stock engines unduly sentimental.  Watch the posts for a
while, and you'll see all kinds of viewpoints.

> ...of course if I am in the wrong place don't be afraid to say
so....

    No, you're in the right place.

>perhaps there is a website / mailing list better suited to my vehicle
>and needs,

    Let us know if you find one.

    Again, welcome.  Look forward to hearing more about that van.

    Regards,

    Grant S. gls@4link.net