Re: [oletrucks] Stock vs. modified

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Stock vs. modified
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 09:13:08 EST

<<My questions:  What further minor modifications can I make to make my ride
safer, and yes, a little faster?  I"ve read about the overdrive
transmission, and would like to go that route.  Can I do this without
changing out my 235 for a V-8?  >>

Being a V8 type, I wouldn't know where the 235 runs out of torque to pull
with the low ratio (OD changes 3.90 to 2.73), but I know the OD physically
fits the TF sixes at least.  My corvette only turns 1600rpm at about 75mph in
OD (700R4 automatic); lower wear on the engine, great gas mileage for that HP
and, if not for the exhaust, it would be very quiet (not one of my priorities
but others seem to care about that).  But you have to have the torque at any
given RPM to pull the load.

My understanding was that the OD transmissions are more suited to the sixes
in terms of the torque they are designed to handle.  I setting up one behind
my 350 and am intentionally keeping the horsepower down on the engine so I
don't break anything in the trans.  Later I have plans to swap to 4wd, but
that will either be another stage in the sub's life. . .or if I decide I like
the sub the way it is, I'll have to pick up a NAPCO directly (My brother has
a 57 short bed just sitting anyway.)

I've noticed that many vendors have the misc parts that you'll need to set
one up--relays, wiring harnesses, documentation, etc; however, the
transmission itself seems to be a problem.  I only paid $175 for mine at
Carlisle, and it seems to be in good shape, but I've since seen them
advertised in Hemmings for $600. . .way too much.

Good luck,

Mark Noakes
58/56 Suburban
Knoxville, TN