Re: [oletrucks] Modern Remote Oil Filter Kits for 235ci's

To: <DeLibre@aol.com>, <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Modern Remote Oil Filter Kits for 235ci's
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 07:15:04 -0500
The Mr Gasket & Trans-dapt, etc, kits are designed to relocate the stock oil
fiter to a remote location in a racing or off-road vehicle. These kits are
made for engines originally equipped for full pressure filtration. The 235
uses a bypass system. There is not enough flow or pressure to use a modern
filter. That's why the lines are so much larger on the full-flow system. The
listings are sort of correct; there were no full-flow  car or light truck
inline sixes (from GM, at least) until the 230/250 in the early 60's. 235's
never had full-flow filtration, but the 261 heavy truck engine did, from '58
to '62.

The beehive filter (sourced from Patrick's, but sold by most of the
old-truck vendors) is a bypass filter which replaces the original canister
and uses a similar element. It would require new lines to be run from the
engine. It doesn't work any better than the canister, just gives a fifties
retro-rod look. You could accomplish the same thing by remounting your
original canister on the firewall, or anywhere else there is room.

The value of bybass-type oil filters has been debated at least twice on this
list. My own feeling is that they are of dubious worth, as long as you
change oil frequently. In your situation, the work and/or expense of
relocating or replacing the canister filter is not worth the effort. I'd
just plug the block and omit the canister altogether. You'll appreciate the
extra oil pressure.

Jack / Winter Park FL