Re: [oletrucks] head gasket cooling

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] head gasket cooling
From: NSurles@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:56:38 EST
> Any other things to take a look at?

I'm pretty sure you don't really "need" a pressure cap or an overflow tank.
Someone has already mentioned making sure there is room for expansion when
filling the system.

The reason I'm sure you don't need the pressure cap is I have been running
mine for over 6 years with the cap on loose (the first notch).  The reason,
the tank leaks under pressure but is OK with the cap loose.

Another item that fits into the overheating and "finding things in your
truck" category is what happened to me when I first started the donor engine
in my 55 2nd.  It came from a 59 and was in great shape.  Had a heck of a
time figuring out why it kept overheating until I finally did some serious
backflushing.

Finally found the culprit was waste material that some mice had apparently
put in the engine at some point.  Ended up taking the freeze plugs out to get
it all out.  Has run cool ever since!

Sonny