RE: [oletrucks] head gasket cooling

To: "'joe'" <chevy1@jps.net>, BDober@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] head gasket cooling
From: "Peters, Jon C" <jpeters@sikorsky.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:37:37 -0500
The best fix for the hose problem is a steel tube bent to the shape you need
with rubber couplers at both ends. The rubber couplers come as a "step down"
or straight. Make a pattern using wire, and check your progress often. The
like all skills is a acquired skill but the end items are great and fan
proof.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!! THE SAND MUST BE DRY!!!! ANY MOISTURE WILL CONVERT INTO
STEAM CAUSING THE PLUG TO BLOW OFF!!!! THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS AND AS WITH
ANY USE OF A TORCH BE CAREFUL

To bend the tube without collapsing the sides you'll need to "sand mandrel
bend" it. here's how:
Determine over all length, add 6" to each end.
Weld one end shut (with a plate) fill the tube to within 2" of open end with
clean dry sand.
Tamp the sand down (pack it).
Make a tapered wood plug.
Jam the plug into the open end of the tube (really hammer it in).
Using you oxy/acet torch heat the area to be bent to red hot and slowly pull
the tube to the desired shape.
Work slowly one bend at a time, allow the tube to air cool.

This method will produce clean flowing bends of constant diameter, the tube
will not collapse if done correctly. You may also weld on a steel step down
as part of the steel tube and use same size rubbers (each end) on the ends.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!! THE SAND MUST BE DRY!!!! ANY MOISTURE WILL CONVERT INTO
STEAM CAUSING THE PLUG TO BLOW OFF!!!! THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS AND AS WITH
ANY USE OF A TORCH BE CAREFUL

Jon C. Peters