Re: [oletrucks] Welding Help Needed!

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welding Help Needed!
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 18:05:06 -0700
Deve

I am by no means a welder but I've gained plenty of welding experience over
the years through chopping tops, rust repair, sub frames and Mustang II to
know some of the tricks.

 Your on the right track with the Argon Co2 mixture as that provides better
protection from weld contamination and thus a better weld.

You were doing good when you were tacking and moving from side to side to
allow the metal to cool.  The trying to close the gap between spot welds was
too far and created too much heat is the flat "easily warped" section of the
door.  You would have been pushing it trying to close the gap if the welds
were 1 inch apart.

Your probably right around the  metal cover to access the bottom hinge bolts
correct?  This area has no strength to withstand warpage.

If you would have stuck  to tack welding "spot welding" and moving from
place to place and allowing the metal to cool before coming back you
probably would have been fine.  The butting up of the two panels together
would have been fine with the tack welding method.  I think you would have
been better results and had no warpage if you would have flanged the bottom
and plug welded the two pieces together.

You didn't tell us is what size of wire you were running through the welder
for this install?  On all my panel  repairs I drop down to .024 wire which
requires less welding heat to melt and thus reduces the chance of warpage.

You can also apply a heat absorbing compound around your welding area to
help pull heat out of the work to reduce warpage.  I use a product called
HEAT FENCE and it works for me.   You can also use a moist shop towel to
quench the surrounding work area or have the shop air hose handy and blow
some compressed air on the weld to cool it down.  I use the air method also
when I'm welding on the tops to help keep warpage to a minimum.

The key to reducing warpage is low heat, small wire size, tack welding,
moving from side to side to allow cooling, heat absorbing product and most
importantly taking your time.  Rushing causes more warpage then anything.

Hey Deve, we learn best  through are own mistakes.

Joe Garcia
1950 Chevrolet 3100
Yuba City, Ca

http://chevy1.freeservers.com/